Do you feel like breakfast is one of the most difficult meals to plan? It seems to take a back seat in our plans for the week, and we end up either going without it or stopping for a quick bite from a fast food joint. Here are some healthy and easy breakfast ideas that should also save you some money.
1. Breakfast casseroles made the night before. It takes time to cook eggs and bacon for breakfast in the morning. If you make you breakfast casserole the night before, you will be saving time and still getting a hearty breakfast the next day. Put together a casserole using your favorite ingredients. Some examples would be eggs, spinach, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, and organic sausage. Fewer eggs are needed in a casserole than when frying or scrambling them for breakfast each morning. Depending on the size of your family, the casserole may last two to three mornings (that’s a definite time saver!). Casseroles can also be made in a crockpot by layering your favorite ingredients and cooking overnight. Check out Hillbilly Housewife’s Casseroles Made Simple.
2. Yogurt or Kefir. Yogurt and Homemade Kefir are both healthy and economical breakfast choices. They give your body good probiotics to ward off illnesses, and also promote a healthy weight. When you are eating on the run, grab a container of yogurt and some dried or fresh fruit. Cutting up fruit on top of the yogurt adds carbohydrates to fuel you for the morning in addition to the calcium and protein in the yogurt itself. Kefir has the same benefits, but is also a powerhouse of probiotics.
3. Breakfast smoothies. The nice thing about smoothies is that they are easy and fast to create, and you can easily ingest them while driving without taking your eyes off the road. Put together some quart-size bags of fruits, yogurt and any other goodies you would want to go in a smoothie. Some of my favorite things to add to smoothies are honey and hemp protein powder. Freeze these bags to have them ready to throw in the blender with some ice, fruit juice and/or milk. Also check out my favorite morning breakfast drink recipe.
4. Oatmeal and dried fruit (see also How to Dehydrate Fruit). Oatmeal is a great way to get your whole grains in the morning and it is easy and fast to cook it on the stove or in the microwave. Add some fresh fruit, coconut oil and a little salt for a yummy start to your day.
5. Breakfast sandwiches. In the evening, while you are getting things ready for the next day, grill up a few breakfast sandwiches. Choose whatever you like: chicken slices, egg, cheese, tomato, organic bacon, etc. When the sandwiches cool, cut them into bite size pieces and places in a storage container. In the morning, just grab a container, pop it into the microwave for fifteen or twenty seconds and voila! You have a quick and easy breakfast.
These breakfast ideas are time saving and money-saving too. They make use of items you buy normally and also whatever you have around the house to create easy and healthy meals for the morning rush. By keeping your breakfasts simple and easy, you avoid stopping last minute for fast food, and have a healthier start to your day.
What are some simple, easy and healthy meals that you like to create for breakfast? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Photo courtesy of Aasen Ryan Family.