I get a ton of requests for this recipe all the time, and it is my family’s favorite breakfast that I make. I first found this recipe on Food.com, but have since modified it to fit our healthier eating habits.
- 2 cups of milk (skim or whole depending on your tastes)
- 3 T of sucanat (or another Natural Sweetener)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 cup of organic rolled oats (not the quick cooking type)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Sprinkling of Nutmeg (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine milk, sucanat, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan and heat until you scald the milk.
- Stir in the oats and apples (I use frozen apples I keep stocked in my freezer), and cook on high for about a minute.
- Stir in the vanilla and pour mixture into a prepared baking dish (grease it with a little coconut oil).
- Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and sprinkle on the nutmeg.
- Bake for 15 more minutes, and serve with a little milk poured over the the top.
Serves 4-5 people.
It’s a really simple and healthy breakfast, that turns out so creamy and delicious. I plan on making this for Thanksgiving morning. This is a light and healthy way to start out the day without adding a ton of fat and calories to our diets. Give it a try, and I bet you will go back for seconds and thirds.