We’ve all heard the phrase, “we are what we eat”. But sometimes, I think we don’t realize how true that actually is. Most of today’s illnesses and epidemics can actually be diminished or even completely healed through diet changes. I’ve heard of Fibromyalgia being healed, Diabetes thwarted and even Cancer being eliminated. Here are a list of some great foods, herbs and spices and what the healing properties are. Of course, none of these are a guarantee, just like prescription medicines. But by adding in some of the more nutrient rich foods, our bodies become healthier and have a better ability to fight off disease and sickness.
- Olive – Heart-healthy fat that has great antioxidants, and even has shown to have anti-cancer benefits.
- Coconut – Anti-viral and anti-microbial properties that support immune function.
- Canola – Has omega-3 and omega-6, which have been shown to help prevent heart disease.
- Flax- Anti-inflammatory oil which helps prevent arthritis, heart disease and eases constipation. Look for it in the refrigerated, natural section.
- Avocado – Helps reduce risk of hearth disease, cancer and diabetes. It also lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol.
Herbs and Spices
- Garlic – Garlic is one of the best immune-boosting foods out there. I’ve personally used liquid garlic extract to ward off viruses, colds and infections. It’s basically a natural anti-biotic. If you’re worried about bad breath, find a good odorless garlic oil or liquid extract to take on a regular basis, or when you start to feel something coming on.
- Tumeric – This spice contains Curcumin, and is anti-inflammatory. There have actually been clinical trials showing evidence that Curcumin is effective in treating and preventing cancer.
- Ginger – Also an anti-inflamatory, Ginger Root has been used as a treatment for things like arthritis, cancer, migraines, menstrual cramps,upset stomach, diabetes, heartburn and more. Rosemary is also another good anti-inflammatory food to add into your diet.
- Stinging Nettle – Known for its ability to help fight allergies. Local honey is also good with this as well.
- Cinnamon – Great spice for colds, high cholesterol, diabetes, upset stomach and even diarrhea.
To be continued…
Baby Step Week 7: Find a natural or health food store in your area, and pick up a few of these items to add into your diet. Use good oils and herbs liberally in your cooking.