So you’re wanting to make some whole grain muffins, but aren’t sure where to start. Start with this basic whole grain muffin recipe. From it you can do all kinds of variations by adding different fruits and spices.
Basic Whole Grain Muffins Recipe
Servings: 12 muffins Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup of sugar (raw cane sugar is ideal)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole grain flour (see how to mill flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons softened butter or coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375.
- With a mixer, whip up the sugar and egg until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Slowly alternate adding the flour/baking powder mixture and milk to the egg/sugar mixture until everything is mixed well.
- Add in your butter/coconut oil and vanilla, and finish mixing until everything is well blended.
- Pour batter into greased muffin pan or muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
The nice thing about this basic recipe, is that you can do many many things to make it your own. You could add bananas, apples and cinnamon, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, cranberries and orange zest, frosting and the list goes on! What would you like to add to this recipe?
Be sure to visit all the sites for the 12 Days of Christmas series:
Christmas Homeschool Fun: 1+1+1=1
Christmas Decorations: Songbird
Tips for a Healthy Holiday: The Thrifty Mama
Saving Money: Surviving the Stores
Travel Tips: Mom’s Travel Tales
Christmas Recipes: Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures
Christmas Family Fun: Life as Mom
Homemade Christmas Gifts: The Happy Housewife