I don’t know about you, but my kids absolutely love macaroni and cheese. But I’m not a fan of the boxed versions because they are either completely unhealthy, or the organic versions are just way too expensive for my thrifty budget. I love making macaroni and cheese from scratch because it’s easy to make, easy on my wallet, and it’s better tasting than any boxed mix I’ve tried.
When I make this, I’m able to use all organic ingredients. Don’t you love knowing what’s going into your meals and ultimately into the bellies of your kids? Here’s my recipe:
- 2 cups organic noodles
- 2 1/2-3 cups of organic milk
- 1/2 stick organic butter
- 2 cups shredded organic cheese
- paprika (optional)
- Place noodles and milk in a medium pot and bring to a boil. The milk should just cover the noodles with about an inch of space.
- Reduce heat and simmer until all the milk is absorbed into the noodles (stir frequently).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, shredded cheese and salt to taste.
- If you enjoy a little paprika, add a little of that to your bowl for some yummy, creamy, paprika goodness.
The trick to making this recipe super, extra creamy is cooking the noodles in milk. This makes the macaroni and cheese creamy, just like Panera makes their version…..zomg! So good!
How do you like your macaroni and cheese? Have you made this version? Tell me how you like it! And if you like to add some fun spices to your boil, please do tell me about it as I love mixing things up when I make my organic mac n’ cheese!