I always forget how awesome vegetables smell when they are roasting slowly in the oven, and I underestimate the power that scent has over me. Fresh, warm, earthy goodness. The thing I love about this recipe is that once your brussels sprouts are roasted, you have a blank canvas for creating one of a hundred different kinds of dishes. I’m a sucker for variety, so I make this a little different every time. You can add nuts (toast them in the oven first!), raisins, cheese (goat, feta, parmesan..), and toss these in almost any dressing. Have it as a main dish, or throw it next to some nice pan seared chicken. Or, give this version a try.
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups organic brussels sprouts, washed and halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled organic feta cheese
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toss brussels sprouts in balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with salt & pepper
- Lay brussels sprouts on rimmed baking sheet, roast in oven for 25 - 30 minutes (until tender, but not mushy)
- Let brussels sprouts cool, add to large bowl
- Toss with quinoa & feta. Drizzle just a little olive oil over mixture, and toss to mix.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper, and enjoy!
What would you add to this recipe? Got any brussels sprouts secrets?
Looking for more healthy recipes for fall? Check these out!