These days there are so many types of oils to use for our skin and hair, that it’s hard to pick through what to actually use. There’s olive oil, coconut oil, moroccan oil, argan oil, and so many others. Many of these special oils can be really expensive, while some are less. Others can also be ingested while others cannot.
Here are some reasons that I’ve switched to using grapeseed oil for my hair, skin, and also with my cooking:
1. It’s inexpensive. Many of the popular oils today are really expensive due to clever marketing that has lead to a great demand for them. However, grapeseed oil isn’t as popular, thus making it cheaper. My 16 oz. bottle costs $8.99 from the local health food store, and Amazon has similar prices.
2. A little goes a very long way. It doesn’t take much of this oil to spread it through my hair and get the moisturizing benefits. And since I tend to suffer from really dry hair, this is a nice benefit.
3. It contains omega-6 fatty acids, that are excellent for your body. When applied to the skin, these benefits are absorbed through the skin and into your bloodstream. It can also be taken internally to absorb the amazing disease fighting powers. Omega-6 fatty acids are known to combat:
- chronic inflammation
- rheumatoid arthritis
4. It helps with moisture retention. Since it contains omega-6 fatty acids, it helps to retain moisture in the body when it is applied to the skin (source).
5. It’s completely odorless. And by odorless, I mean there is no scent whatsoever. Some oils claim this, but you can still smell a scent. This is not the case with grapeseed oil. It has absolutely no scent, so you don’t need to worry about it clashing with your other fragrances if you decide to use it on your hair and skin.
6. It’s a very light feeling oil. I don’t like putting thick oils like olive oil in my hair, and definitely prefer a lighter consistency like jojoba oil. But since jojoba oil is much more expensive, I’m happy for this cheaper and light alternative.
I now use this oil regularly on my skin and in my hair, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Plus, I love that I’m saving money and getting the omega-6 fatty acid benefits. Do you use grapeseed oil or have some other type of oil that you prefer? Tell me about it!