- Definitely don’t add salt to the pesto until you’ve tasted the blend. The cheese will add a significant amount of flavor. You might not have to add any additional salt.
- I find pine nuts in the produce section of my grocery store. Some people suggest substituting walnuts for the pine nuts, but I’ve never tried this. Leave a comment if you’ve had success with this idea!
- The chicken sausage I have found locally has no preservatives and all fresh ingredients. I feel good about feeding my family food without nitrates and nitrites.
- Save money by making the pesto with leaves from your own basil plant.
- Slice the other half of each of the peppers and onion and put them in a freezer bag in the freezer. These can be used as a great money and time saver for the future.
If you’re looking for other tips on healthy, inexpensive meals, check out:
- How to Prepare a One Week Organic Meal Plan at Whole Foods Market for $100
- Healthy, Inexpensive Meals for Holiday House Guests