Naan is a flat bread that has become our go-to bread in this house. We’re sharing our tried and true homemade naan recipe with you in hopes that you can enjoy this easy and delightful dish with your family.
- 1 cup very warm water
- 7 oz Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 tablespoons sucanat
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- olive oil or butter
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except garlic.
- Mix until very stiff ball forms.
- Remove from bowl and knead on lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth (about 7 - 8 minutes).
- Place dough in well-oiled bowl and cover with damp towel.
- Let rise in warm, non-drafty area for one hour or until dough is doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and knead in garlic.
- Form dough into golf-ball sized balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover with damp towel and allow to rise 20 minutes.
- Heat griddle or pan to 375 or medium-high heat.
- Use hands or rolling pin to flatten each dough ball to around 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush both sides of dough with olive oil or butter.
- Place dough on heated griddle or pan and cook for 3 minutes (or until lightly browned and puffy).
- Turn dough over and cook another 2 - 4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Allow cooked naan to rest in a covered dish until served. Serve warm.
This recipe really is a family affair. The kids love to help me make the dough. But what they look forward to the most is rolling out the balls and watching them puff up while cooking.
We serve naan with hummus and olives. My oldest son loves to make homemade naan pizza by topping the cooked naan with olive oil, cheese, and olives and melting the cheese in the oven for a few minutes. You could also leave out the garlic from the recipe and top the naan with cinnamon and honey for a fancy dessert. Such a simple and delicious treat!
Try this other delicious naan recipe that uses only four ingredients!