I want my family to get good nutrition at every meal, but it’s a struggle to feed everyone healthily when breakfast comes so early every day. This Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Squares recipe delivers a hearty meal packed with good fats and great nutrition in under 30 minutes.
This recipe is a family favorite and the leftovers are scrumptious. It would be a perfect solution for holiday guests or a Sunday brunch.
Some interesting variations on this recipe would be:
- Replace apples with banana slices and use walnuts.
- Soak 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup cranberries in warm apple juice for 15 minutes. Use these in place of the apples.
- Substitute sunflower or pumpkin seeds for 1/2 of the nuts.
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla and use sliced almonds for the nuts on top.
- Half of the cinnamon could be replaced with ginger, cloves, or nutmeg for a spicier cake.
- Replace all or some of the maple syrup with molasses or honey.
The brown rice flour in this recipe helps to keep the crumb from being so heavy. You could use all-purpose or another flour and find a consistency you like.
You can also cut this recipe in half and bake in a 8X8 pan at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes. This version would serve 5 – 6 people.