The really fabulous thing about using soap nuts, is that you don’t really have to make your own laundry soap with them. The soap nuts do all the work for you! I’ve been using soap nuts off and on for over a year now in my laundry routine and have really been satisfied with how they get my laundry clean.
What are Soap Nuts?
Soap nuts are the dried fruit that come from the Soap Berry tree, and they contain saponin which acts as a natural detergent. I have found them to work just as well if not better in cleaning my laundry than conventional detergents do.
How to Use Soap Nuts
- Place 8-9 soap nuts (without the seeds in them) in the small bag that comes with your order.
- Place the bag in your washing machine with your dirty laundry, and run your cycle as normal.
- Reuse the bag to wash clothes until the seeds start falling apart and look a little gray.
A bag of 5-8 nuts usually lasts me through a month or more of washes. I prefer this method because it isn’t any extra work, and the nuts seem to last longer than if I use them to make a liquid concentrate. However, a liquid concentrate has multiple uses other than just as a laundry detergent, so I’m going to show you how to make that.
How to Make Your Own Liquid Laundry Soap with Soap Nuts
If you’re really feeling domestic, you can actually use the soap nuts to make a liquid that you can use for various cleaning purposes as well as for laundry.
- Place bag of 8 soap nuts (without the seeds) in 4-5 cups of water in a pot on the stove.
- Bring water and soap nuts to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- After it has cooled, remove the bag and use your hand to squeeze the excess soap out of the bag. This creates lots of suds.
- Rinse the bag into the pot and squeeze again. Repeat this process until the bag no longer creates suds.
While the liquid does have its benefits of being able to use it for more than just laundry, I prefer to just use straight soap nuts in my wash because they seem to last longer, which means I’m saving money!
Where to Buy Soap Nuts
Soap Nuts can usually only be found online, and I have found the best price to be on Amazon. Wherever you buy Soap Nuts from, make sure you are getting the ones that do not contain seeds. With Soap Nuts, you always pay based on weight, and the seeds are the heaviest. The seeds cannot and should not be used when cleaning laundry, as they can stain clothing.
But Do They Really Work?
Yes they do! And I’ve found that my laundry comes out cleaner and fresher than when I use a conventional detergent. They are so easy to use, too! I love that I am using something that is safe for my kids, the environment and is inexpensive.
- 1lb. Soap Nuts (200 loads) = $23.95 + free shipping
- =.12 cents/load
So there you have it! You can either make your own laundry soap with soap nuts, or let them do all the work for you. Soap Nuts are natural, eco-friendly and easy to use! Have you ever used Soap Nuts before?