In a world of high fructose corn syrup, fried food, preservatives and other additives that have addictive qualities, it’s very hard to get your kids to eat healthy. After all, why would they want Mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup, when all they really want is a hot dog (speaking from experience here)?
Getting kids to eat healthy is not easy. Even I have difficulty with this. We live in an imperfect world with a lot of tasty foods that really aren’t good for our health. But, there are a few things that you can do to get your kids to eat healthy foods.
1. Eat them yourself. Kids learn by example, so make sure you are adding those greens to your plate and eating them, too.
2. Have kids help you grow some herbs, or even a garden. When kids participate in growing foods this way, they are more likely to want to eat them.
3. Have kids help in the preparation of meals. Just like with a garden, kids will take pride in what they have prepared and want to eat it.
4. Make the decision as a family to avoid fast food. Make sure everyone knows that this will be a team effort, and you all plan to stick to your decision. Don’t give in, no matter what.
5. Plan ahead. This is a tip to get the entire family to eat healthy. When you meal plan, plan ahead for snacks and lunches, you will not only save money, but have better foods and snacks to eat.
6. Use dried fruits as a special snack and treat instead of candy. Dried fruit is much better for you, and tastes just as good!
7. Don’t force the issue too much. If kids start to feel like eating healthy is a punishment, then they will grow up with some dangerously bad habits in the food department. We have one meal rule at our house: You have to try everything that is on your plate at least once. If you don’t want to finish it, that’s okay. But you don’t get dessert. Keeping it simple like this encourages my kids to eat healthier so that they do get a reward, but I’m not forcing them to finish food, thus making it seem like healthy food is a punishment.
8. Take your kids with you to a local farm or farmer’s market every week, and let them help you pick out the fruits and vegetables. Keeping your children active in your positive choices, will encourage them to eat healthier.
What are some of your tips to get kids to eat healthier? Join the discussion below. You need to have a BlogFrog account (it’s free!) to join the convo!
Share how you get your kids to eat healthy food below for a chance to win a $500 Mom’s Getaway Spa Day from BlogFrog!
Want to exchange more healthy snacks ideas, money saving tips and back to school shopping advice with other moms? Visit the Horizon® Healthy Families Back to School Community!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon. The opinions expressed by me do not necessarily reflect the view of the Horizon Organic brand.