There’s nothing like good cornbread to make a meal come to life. We like having cornbread with beans, chilis, stews and a slew of other recipes. This recipe makes the best tasting cornbread I have ever eaten, whole wheat or otherwise.
I first learned how to make Whole Wheat cornbread from this recipe here, but have since adapted it to better suit our lifestyle and eating habits.
Whole Wheat Skillet Cornbread
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour Freshly Milled (a hard red is perfect for this)
- 1 1/2 Cup of Cornmeal – I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Cups of Milk + 1 T Vinegar (makes buttermilk)
- 3 T of Mayonnaise
- 2 T Coconut Oil
- 3 T Honey
- 1/8 Cup of Coconut Oil for the Skillet
- Preheat your oven to 425. Once this is done, place your large round skillet onto the rack for approximately 10 minutes (do this while you are mixing your cornbread batter).
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl or mixer. Then mix your wet ingredients (leave out the coconut oil for the skillet) together and slowly add to the dry mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Add 1/8 cup of Coconut Oil to the heated skillet and let warm for about five minutes. Pour your batter mixture into the skillet, and be careful not to spill any of your batter into the hot oven!
- Cook for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick sticks in and comes out clean.
Servings: Makes approximately 12 servings.
Cooking and Prep: Approximately 35 minutes.
I like to serve mine up with butter or Coconut Oil and honey, but really this tastes perfectly creamy and sweet all on its own. If you want to, you can use eggs instead of mayonnaise. The mayonnaise just makes this cornbread nice and moist. A vegan, eggless mayonnaise would probably work well with this.
What do you think of this recipe? Have you made something similar, or have any tips and tricks for making Homemade Whole Wheat Skillet Cornbread? You can leave a comment by clicking here.