Don’t you just love those chilly Fall evenings? They’re the perfect excuse to have a delicious soup. In the Fall, the kids and I head out to the local corn maze. We wander the corn fields, ride the hayride, play the games and always pick up a couple of fresh pumpkins. And what better to enjoy a Fall evening and use up some pumpkin than to make a fresh pumpkin soup?
There are many pumpkin soup recipes out there, but this one is completely vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and you can use all organic ingredients if you desire. This one turns out extra creamy and delicious because of the coconut milk. Did I say coconut milk? Why yes I did! I know, I know….it’s pretty much heaven in a bowl. I mean, we love pumpkin, but add in some coconut milk and it just becomes pumpkin nirvana!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin (chopped)
- 1 apple (cored)
- 3 cups cream of celery
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in your mack daddy blender.
- Push the "soup" option, or blend on high for five minutes if you do not have a soup option.
- Let the blender do the work!
- If you are using the stove-top method, pre-cook pumpkin chunks and apple by simmering in water on the stove until soft.
- Drain the water.
- Mash apple and pumpkin with a hand mixer.
- Place in a medium sized pot on the stove and add in the rest of your ingredients.
- Bring to a slight boil and reduce hit to simmer for about 2 minutes.
And if you really want to mix things up, try adding some carrots and/or fresh herbs to the mix. I love tinkering with a soup don’t you? But don’t tinker too much, because seriously this soup rocks! There’s definitely nothing like a fresh pumpkin soup made with coconut milk…..pardon me while I wipe the drool off of my bottom lip.
Do you have any favorite pumpkin recipes? You guys know I’m kind of a pumpkin addict! Please share! Oh, and be sure to check out all my other pumpkin recipes here.